First some myth busters about people who run Exchange:
- We don’t think it’s stable.
- We don’t think it’s secure (nor is it’s main client, Outloook)
- We know it’s more expensive than most of the other stuff out there.
Now that we have that out of the way, what does Exchange have going for it?
- Free/Busy scheduling of large numbers of people and resources all through Outlook, which everyone knows how to use.
- Fairly easy install that even a linux/mac dweeb could do with little to no knowledge of how Microsoft networking works (I know this for a fact since I was that linux/mac dweeb).
- It runs on Windows servers, which some may argue are easier to administer.
- Better marketing.
Hate to say it but my experance with setting up and admin an Exchange server puts me in agreeent.