February 2004 Archives
Why of course the people don't want war... That is understood. But, after all, it is the leaders of the country who determine the policy, and it's always a simple matter to drag the people along whether it's a democracy, a fascist dictatorship, a parliament or a communist dictatorship... the people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders... All you have to do is tell them they are being attacked, and denounce the pacifists for lack of patriotism, and exposing the country to greater danger.--Hermann Goering, Nazi Reichsmarshal and Luftwaffe chief at Nuremberg trials, 1945
9. Big companies do not create jobs, and historically have not. (Big companies are not "built to last;" they almost inexorably are "built to decline.")
10. Job creation is entrepreneurially led, especially by a small number of "start-ups" that become growth companies (Microsoft, Amgen et al.); hence entrepreneurial incentives including low capital gains taxes, high R&D supports are a top priority.
11. Primary and secondary education must be reformed, in particular to underscore creativity and innovation -- the mainstays of high-value added products and services. Children should be nurtured on risk-taking, with a low expectation of corporate cosseting.
12. Research universities must be vigorously supported.
15. Worker benefits (health care, re-training credits, pensions) should be portable, to induce rather than impede labor mobility.
So where were the re-training programs, entrepreneurial, and research supportive efforts in the tax cuts in the past years? Seems that education is one of the more severly cut areas of federal and state budget cuts in the past 2-3 years.
The answer to the latter question remains to be seen, I guess. But I think most readers understood what I meant. Since the Clinton Wars of the late '90s, and especially since the 9/11 attacks, social conservatives - the folks who get their religious doctrine from Pat Robertson and their political doctrine from Rush Limbaugh and Ann Coulter - have metastasized into something we haven't seen in this country since the McCarthy era: a large, reasonably well-organized right-wing authoritarian movement, which not only fears and loathes its left-wing opponents, but increasingly regards opposition itself as tantamount to treason.
Posted: 2004-02-16T22:12:47Z (categories: Movie )
- King Kong
Posted: 2004-02-16T22:07:38Z (categories: Movie )
- Faceted Movable Type
Posted: 2004-02-16T15:32:19Z (categories: MT )
- Panther: Room for Improvement
Posted: 2004-02-16T15:26:31Z (categories: OSX Mac )
- Desert Combat
Posted: 2004-02-16T19:20:10Z (categories: Games )
Posted: 2004-02-16T20:04:09Z (categories: MT Blog Perl Email )
- Using window.print() to print a document
- Discussion forum
Posted: 2004-02-16T15:51:44Z (categories: ASP ASP.NET )
- Bart's Preinstalled Environment (BartPE) bootable live windows CD/DVD
Posted: 2004-02-16T16:26:29Z (categories: )
- Frontend Editing for MovableType
Posted: 2004-02-16T20:19:28Z (categories: MT Perl )
- Shrook: RSS for MacOS X
Posted: 2004-02-16T14:11:45Z (categories: RSS OSX )
- MT Plugin Directory: NetflixRatings
Posted: 2004-02-16T20:02:33Z (categories: MT NetFlix )
- MT Plugin Directory: BookQueue
Posted: 2004-02-16T19:59:14Z (categories: MT Perl Books )
- MT Plugin Directory: QOTD
Posted: 2004-02-16T20:01:26Z (categories: MT Perl )
- Prevent a cross-site scripting attack: First step: recognize the signs and halt an XSS intrusio
IN DEFENSE OF BIBLICAL MARRIAGE
The Presidential Prayer Team is currently urging us to Pray for the President as he seeks wisdom on how to legally codify the definition of marriage. Pray that it will be according to Biblical principles. With any forces insisting on variant definitions of marriage, pray that God's Word and His standards will be honored by our government.
Any good religious person believes prayer should be balanced by action. So here, in support of the Prayer Team's admirable goals, is a proposed Constitutional Amendment codifying marriage entirely on biblical principles:
A. Marriage in the United States shall consist of a union between one man and one or more women. (Gen 29:17-28; II Sam 3:2-5.)
B. Marriage shall not impede a man's right to take concubines in addition to his wife or wives. (II Sam 5:13; I Kings 11:3; II Chron 11:21)
C. A marriage shall be considered valid only if the wife is a virgin. If the wife is not a virgin, she shall be executed. (Deut 22:13-21)
D. Marriage of a believer and a non-believer shall be forbidden. (Gen 24:3; Num 25:1-9; Ezra 9:12; Neh 10:30)
E. Since marriage is for life, neither this Constitution nor the constitution of any State, nor any state or federal law, shall be construed to permit divorce. (Deut 22:19; Mark 10:9)
F. If a married man dies without children, his brother shall marry the widow. If he refuses to marry his brother's widow or deliberately does not give her children, he shall pay a fine of one shoe and be otherwise punished in a manner to be determined by law. (Gen. 38:6-10; Deut 25:5-10)